It’s the holiday season and eggnog should 100% be a part of it! Before making this drink, I often thought making eggnog was a difficult process but after consulting good ole google and my good girlfriend I realized I was wrong. This is by no means the traditional way of creating a classic eggnog drink however the results are amazing (my opinion lol). I found a few different processes but they required way too many steps for me lol (I like the simple things).
Based on what I have read, traditional eggnog requires yolks and egg whites to be separated, but since I don’t have a use for egg whites (I can always cook them) I decided to use the entire egg. I had a conversation with my friend and she walked me through how she made her eggnog and I decided to give it try.
The recipe I am about to share with you is very simple and perfect for the holidays!
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cup milk (use milk of choice)
- ¼ cup rum (use alcohol of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Blend or whisk eggs, sugar, salt and half of milk together
- Pour mixture into a pot and place on low heat, add vanilla
- Stir constantly and add spices
- As mixture cooks, add remaining milk (if needed) and add rum (if using) and stir. Cook on low heat for about 15-20 minutes (depends on your stove)
- Once cooked, return mixture to clean blender (or bowl if using a whisk) and blend for about 2 minutes
- Once mixture is cooled, pour over ice or drink as is!
Things to note
- Whole spices can be used (if you don’t want the spice specs in your drink). Add them while mixture is cooking on low heat.
- Using high heat will cook the eggs and you will end up with a creamy scrambled mess!
- Alcohol can be omitted.
What is your favourite holiday drink?