I am a bread person, so this means I enjoy anything that’s bread related whether it’s sweet or savory. Today’s recipe is all about the savory. I wanted garlic dinner rolls the other day, so I decided to make these delicious beauties with some parmesan cheese, and who doesn’t like cheese.
The recipe will yield you super buttery and extremely flakey dinner rolls which makes this the perfect addition to any meal! I’ve had it with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You determine how large or small you make these dinner rolls when cutting. Now let’s get into the recipe.
- 450g Flour
- 225g warmed milk
- 100g eggs (2)
- 100g butter (softened)
- 10g yeast
- 10g sugar
- 10g salt
- 6 garlic cloves (use more or less)
- 70g Butter (softened)
- 3g salt
- 50g Parmesan cheese (use more or less)
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 5-10g dried parsley
- 10-20g melted butter
- Preheat oven at 350F
- In a mixing bowl, add yeast, salt and half of the warmed mix. Then add flour and salt.
- Whisk eggs and remaining milk together then add to flour.
- Start mixing and once dough is formed add butter in stages. The dough will look sticky and will seperate (this is normal DO NOT ADD FLOUR).
- Once butter is incorporated the dough should be smooth and elastic-like. Do the windowpane test to check doneness then proceed.
- Once dough is ready, remove from mixing bowl, round on an un-floured work surface and rest for 30 minutes. Dough should double in size.
- While dough is resting, combine butter, salt and minced garlic in a bowl and mix. Set aside for later use.
- Once dough has doubled in size, roll as thinly as possible then spread garlic butter and sprinkle cheese evenly. Leave 1/2 inch of space around the edges for sealing.
- Lightly brush edges of dough with water, then roll. (video shows step-by-step procedure)
- Chill dough until firm (it helps with cutting). Once dough is ready, cut into your desired sizes. I cut my dough it 1-inch pieces
- Once cut transfer pieces into a prepared baking pan, cover with cling wrap and set in a warm place to proof for 30 mins or until doubled in size.
- While dough is resting, combine all ingredients for topping and mix in a bowl.
- Once rested, brush the top of dough with parsley mixture and bake for 20-25 mins and 350F. Final product should be golden brown when baking is complete!
Things to Note:
- Roll will get hard once cool, this is because of the amount of fat and cheese in the recipe. Warm before eating. Rolls are best eaten warm (trust me, you’ll thank me later).
- Increase or decrease the amount of cheese you want. I would add more since I love cheese.
- Ingrease or decrease the garlic, for a more intense garlic flavour you can add roasted garlic to the dough while mixing.
- For the topping, you can add different seasonings such as roasted red pepper chilly flakes, dried basil etc. You may sesason it how you see fit.
- Baked product will be flakey. Enjoy it!