Sugar cookies are a holiday staple which makes them is perfect for a family bake time together! The recipe I am about to share with you mixes in about 5 mins and can be ready to decorate in about 20 minutes. Super easy with endless decorating opportunities. I love this recipe because it bakes well and has little to no spread. Although these are holiday staples, this recipe serves for year-round baking activities, just change the cookie cutters and happy baking.
- 250g butter
- 300g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g milk
- 5g vanilla extract
- 5g salt
- 630g flour
- 20g baking powder
- Whisk eggs, vanilla and milk together set aside
- Cream butter, sugar and salt together until light
- Add egg mixture to creamed mixture a little at a time until incorporated. Scrape bowl repeatedly.
- Gradually add flour. Mix only until combined
- Once dough is formed divide into 2. Chill dough for 5-10 mins if dough is soft.
- If dough is not roll dough with a rolling pin and use cookie cutters for desired shapes.
- Bake at 350F for 8-10mins. Light colour, golden brown bottom.
Royal Icing Using Meringue Powder
- 45g Meringue powder
- 453g Icing Sugar
- 75g Water
Royal Icing Using Egg White
- 500g Icing sugar
- 1/8tsp cream of tartar
- 95g Pasteurized egg whites
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix.
Things To Note
- If your dough is soft put in fridge for 5-10 mins to allow it to firm before rolling
- Cookies have little to no spread which allow them to hold their shape nicely.
- To change the consistency of royal icing add water 1tsp as a time. This helps to loosen the mixture to get desired fluidity.
- Use gel food colouring, it will not affect the consistency of royal icing.