I can’t keep stressing how much I love bread. If I could eat bread without gaining a single pound, I would eat bread every single day with every meal lol. That’s how much I love my bread. I have shared my favourite bun from Antigua (which is a bread), my brioche bread, and even my garlic parmesan dinner rolls. If it’s bread, I’m there lol.
With inflation on the rise, I am not going to lie and say my spending/buying habits didn’t change, because they did and so did the things I ate and made. The recipe I am about to share with you can be changed to suit your needs. If you don’t have milk, you can use water, if you want to use plant base milk you can (I did). You don’t even have to use butter, you can omit the butter which can result in a slightly leaner bread (sometimes I love this lol) but yes butter makes everything better. If you have vegan butter sure why not use it. If you only have margarine, you can use that as well. The point is this is a very simple recipe that requires few ingredients to make delicious bread for sandwiches, soups, or whatever your heart desires.
What You’ll Need
- 500g Ap flour
- 6g yeast
- 12g salt
- 18 g sugar
- 30g coconut milk
- 300g warm water
- 30g butter
How to Make It
- Combine coconut milk & water together to milk well (if using milk or water only you can leave this step out) see note
- Add yeast, sugar, and some liquid to the bowl (about half the liquid)
- Pour flour over yeast mixture then add salt (mix into flour) then add remaining liquid.
- Mix on medium speed and when dough begins to form, add butter.
- Continue to mix, the dough may be sticky, if this happens add about 1tbs (10-15g) of flour just enough for the dough to pull apart from the mixing bowl.
- Mix until the dough is ready. Do the window pane test (take a small piece of dough and stretch it to see if it holds or if it tears. If it tears mix for about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove dough from the mixing bowl, round it up, and rest on a lightly floured surface for about 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, shape dough on a lightly floured surface into a batard and grease a baking pan
- Place dough into greased baking pan. ( if your loaf pans are smaller, divide the dough into smaller pieces) Rest for another 30-45 minutes or until double in size.
- Once the dough has rested, bake in oven for 20-30 mins. Bake time depends on your oven.
Things To Note
- If using any other form of liquid eg. Milk, almond milk, or even plain water, etc, use the full amount of the water + coconut milk combined (see above). I have water in my recipe to dilute the coconut milk as it is a thick and rich liquid. If using something like cream also use the same measurements as the original recipe.
- Use whatever butter you would like be it vegan, or margarine. If you do not have butter, this can be omitted from the recipe all together. I’ve done it with no issues.
- Ensure the salt is added to the flour and not with yeast because it will kill your yeast production for your bread. (ask me how I know lol)
- The dough can be shaped into a round and baked or placed into a baking pan the choice is yours, either way, it is going to be delicious.
Enjoy your bread!
One thought on “Homemade Sandwich Bread”
LikeLiked by 1 person