No these are not doughnuts (think apple fritters) these are what I like to call pancake replacements lol. Although it doesn’t quite fill the void of a pancake, it gets the job done!
I grew up eating banana fritters for breakfast in the islands. As I grew older, I tend to eat them more as a snack than anything else. I do love bananas, so these are perfect for me. This recipe is quick and easy and ready to be eaten in 10 minutes.
It’s important to note that I don’t usually measure the ingredients for fritters, honestly it’s always a splash, dash and sprinkle of a little something lol. Now let’s get into the recipe.
- 2 ripened bananas
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- add flavouring of choice. I used vanilla extract
- oil of your choice for frying
- Mash bananas until large lumps are removed. (use a fork or whisk)
- Add sugar and spices then mix.
- Add flour then mix
- Heat oil ( I used corn oil)
- Scoop batter ( I used a spoon) into frying pan
- Fry evenly on both sides. (it should be golden brown)
Things To Note:
- 1 egg can be added (some people use eggs) but I did not
- Fritters may burn easily so use medium heat and flip occasionally.
- Use a neutral flavoured oil to fry in, vegetable oil also works.
- Add more sugar to taste if needed.
Ways To Eat Fritters:
- Eat them as is lol. That’s what I do.
- I also eat them with eggs for breakfast. Think of this a pancake replacement.
- In Antigua, these fritters are often paired with salt fish.
Here is a full video of how I create these banana fritters.