In case you haven’t noticed, I love me some fritters lol. They are quick and easy to make and very delicious, the perfect addition to breakfast. I purchased a huge pumpkin the other day and had to find ways of using it up. I made soup, pumpkin bread as well as the fritters I am about to share with you.
Much like the banana fritter recipe I have shared with you, these can be vegan or non-vegan depending on the ingredients that are used. I grew up eating banana fritters and pumpkin fritters in Antigua so why not continue the tradition, now let’s get into the recipe.
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp water
- Mash pumpkins, use a food processor if you want a smooth paste.
- Add vanilla, sugar, salt and spices to pumpkin and mix to combine.
- Add flour a little at a time and stir to combine.
- Add coconut milk and water then mix to fully incorporate.
- Once mixture is ready, scoop and fry until golden brown on each side.
Things to note
- These fritters may burn easily so use medium heat.
- Use a neutral oil to fry in, vegetable oil works.
- Add more sugar to taste if needed.
- Add more pumpkin for a more intense flavour.
- 1 egg can be added to this mixture. (for non-vegan option)
- Canned pumpkin can be used if that’s all you have.
- Use liquid of choice but the type of liquid you use adds to flavour.
Enjoy your fritters as is or for breakfast but if you are anything like me you can eat these anytime!